Thursday, December 11, 2008

On Lancaster...and the need to learn Spanish...

On Lancaster...and the need to learn Spanish...

We are home for a second...so of course I had to get on here to give myself a little downtime. I thought I would share something funny I've learned over the past three days with you all though. We went to Lancaster this weekend for a wedding of friends (congrats Danny and Breann!) and to peruse Amish country, land of smorgasbords and outlet shopping. In total during our three days, we saw ONE actual Amish/Mennonite (I'm not sure which faith they ascribe to...I only know that they were driving a buggy parked at Wal-mart and assume they are something considering the lack of car). However, we saw ten thousand Hispanic individuals...at our hotel, each restaurant we visited, each shop we went into and waiting tables at the wedding and bars. I have come to the conclusion that the Pennsylvania Dutch have been supplanted by a huge community of Spanish-speaking individuals! It was kinda funny...all of these busloads of old people and tourists trying to get the "authentic" Amish country experience with waitresses with accents dressed in Amish attire (complete with a Catholic-style crucifix and Our Lady of Guadeloupe holy medals on their necklace). Hysterical what lengths idiotic tourists will force on people! I laughed out loud for the insanity of it all. I am sure that there are Amish in Lancaster County, but they sure aren't waiting tables at the restaurants or selling you quilts (that have "Made in Taiwan" tags on them) at the outlet mall...they are at home, working a field or taking care of their family and staying as far away from the craziness the rest of the world loves! My heart goes out to the poor wait staff and others that have to deal with busloads of old women from Cleveland asking if that pie they want to buy was made by "a real Amish", etc...are you kidding me?

No comments:


I thank you for stopping by my little version of Eden. I appreciate you kind thoughts and contributions to this page and look forward to seeing them in the future. However, I do reserve the right to remove any questionable content or anything that may detract from the overall nature of the page. Thank you for your continued support. Many blessings!